Paralysis ticks: another in the long litany of Things In Australia That Will Kill You. Late last year the dog had two ticks on him, neither even remotely close to this size, and he spent two nights in the vet hospital. The Flatmate was laid up for two weeks after contracting rickettsia from a paralysis tick in 2011. I myself had to have a microscopic portion of mandible removed from my collarbone in September.
Fortunately this one was on a goat, and as we all know goats are badass, so she was perfectly fine and suffered no ill effects. The tick also survived removal, but was fed to some chickens shortly after the photo shoot.